Friday, April 1, 2016

Different

Recently I've been thinking about how much I've changed in the last few years. I don't keep in touch with more than a handful of people from my mission and prior because I'm embarrassed of who they knew.

I used to be bitter and broken. I thought a lot about how other people saw me and it mattered more than just about anything else. I cared if other people thought I was trendy or pretty or interesting. It didn't make me happy- it was just an obsession. I poured over magazines and studied people I knew trying to figure out what the secret was to being good enough. Sometimes as I searched I seemed to make progress, but more often I was left further awakened to my lacking.

Food was my enemy. I was terrified of eating in front of anyone, or even being seen carrying food. In high school if there was a line in the cafeteria, I didn't eat for fear of anyone noticing that I was waiting to receive it. I preferred junk food- pizza, mac and cheese, french fries- but only ate sparingly since I saw myself as an inevitability inflating balloon. I panicked when I couldn't see my ribs and would lose my appetite for a few days.

I was angry about a lot of things. People who were happy made me angrier still because I couldn't understand them. I concluded that they must be missing something or they would be angry, too. If they experienced the same things I had they would be different. My language consistently dripped with passive aggression so much so that if I wasn't paying attention, I myself assumed I was being sincere.

Thanks to dozens of people I've met over the last few years and the care of my closest family, I've felt myself healing. I've stopped wearing make-up altogether, and I'm more confident than ever. I've discovered a love for cooking and baking from scratch: eating a variety of healthy, good food and never counting calories. My passive aggressive nature dissolved into a very direct style, which is often misunderstood as harsh or cold in my beloved state of Texas. However, what used to be veiled bitterness is now kinder honesty. I am happy instead of hurt in the company of success. I genuinely want the best for those that are struggling. I am honest with myself about my shortcomings and strengths. I am at peace.

I don't connect with who I used to be, I only mourn the mistakes. I am grateful for all those kind, patient people who have helped open my eyes over the last few years. I am simultaneously of infinite worth and endlessly flawed, yet progressing. I am needed and need others. I am loved and love others. So many broken people think giving and receiving love is contingent on deserving it, and I don't think that's true.

I am grateful for this new, beautiful life of mine. 
I have hope in renewal. 

I have faith in tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Sure love you. From the day we first met, I have seen the side of you that is direct and real. That's why we connected so well, or so I believe. I've known you in some of the first parts of your healing, but I have always seen you the way I think you now see yourself. You are amazing; thanks for being such a great role model and friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought a tear to my eye. I'm so grateful for the way love heals our hearts, and so happy to hear that life is beautiful for you. Love you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I love you so much. When you moved to the Whitmer I knew my life was going to change. You taught me so much. Your friendship is something I cherish. I wish we didn't live so far apart dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you so beautiful. I am so proud of you and the amazing woman you are❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms.Dressman this is Kendy Garcia ,I was one of your students at Northbrook High school I don't know if you remember me ? If so can you email me at kendygarcia1198@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete